I am no makeup artist or expert but over the years with trial and error and watching tips and tricks from experts have learnt the art of basic makeup for daily wear which can be tweaked to a more glamorous look only by highlighting either the eyes or lips. I must say here that this is only my trick as a layman and not a makeup expert.
Here I am talking about the daily makeup routine using only 5 products: Concealer, CC cream or foundation, compact, kajal and lipstick. These are the products which are worth investing and I believe every woman should have for the basic look. This makeup can be done within 10 minutes or less once you are used to doing it.
Before starting the makeup, make sure your skin is clean. Use a good face wash based on your skin type to wash your face, tone it using a good toner, and moisturize the skin using a good moisturizer. The moisturizer gives a smooth finish and doesn’t make the look face cakey. After following the CTM routine do the following steps:
1. Apply concealer as dots all over your face. Choose a concealer closer to your skin tone. Apply all over the face using a sponge, brush or even fingers. I generally use my fingers to apply the makeup products but you may use whatever you are comfortable using. Make sure the concealer covers the face and neck properly. Allow it to set.
2. Apply foundation/CC cream again in the similar fashion as the concealer. I find CC creams good for giving nice coverage to my face and it lasts longer too. Using brush/fingers apply evenly on the face and neck. Make sure it blends properly.
3. Dab the compact after this. The compact helps the makeup to set and gives an even and smooth finish. Again, select a compact closer to your skin tone to give a natural look.
4. Next comes the kajal, my favorite makeup product. You might opt not to use it if you don’t like wearing kajal but I believe kajal gives an instant “lift” to the face and makes the face brighter. Apply on the upper and lower waterline and upper and lower eyelids using a steady hand. If you are not used to applying liner or kajal, practice! I generally like using black kajal but you can use brown or any other color which you might like.
5. Lastly comes the lipstick. If you are going to office or want to go out during the daytime, you might opt for lighter shades like light pink, mauve, light brown. Apply one coat of lipstick, dab some compact, and reapply. This helps the lipstick to stay longer. If you want to party or go out after office, apply a darker shade of lipstick like wine, red, dark brown, chocolate, etc. Perk up your eye makeup with smoky look by smudging the kajal a bit.
Friends, this routine works for me, but you might experiment with your looks the way you want to. Go for it!